10.09.2014

recipe journal // 5















Mornings are my thing. I do not mind that I am a grandma in the sense that I like to eat dinner at six, go to bed well before midnight, and wake up real before everyone else in the house. My older brother loves to give me a hard time about it, but honestly I think I'm the one that's got it right. Those early hours are when I feel peace ruling in my heart. When I rise, I am prayerful and calm. My mornings have fallen into a rhythm these days and it is just so good. 

I have this great little teapot I got at an antique store a few years ago and I've waited a long time to finally put him to use in my own house. So, I've been boiling water every morning for tea while I figure out what I will have for breakfast. I usually have a bowl of oatmeal, a smoothie, or some baked good I've made that week and while I eat I open up my bible or write in my journal. Yes, sometimes I look through instagram or let myself become worried with all that comes with the day. I find though that being with the Lord in the morning, in some form or fashion, is what I need most. My prayer is that the Devil would not tempt me with his distractions, and that I would not sell-out to his cheap imitations of joy and fulfillment. 

I want to keep falling into the rhythm of hot tea, warm breakfast, and reading the living word. If I have the time after that to make breakfast cookies, while working on school work, like I did this morning, then I will do exactly that. Because mornings are for doing your thing (which in my case is cooking and eating and being with the Lord) 

These cookies definitely qualify for breakfast- especially if you slather some peanut or almond butter on them. These days they also satisfy my tastebuds for dessert- but that probably is not everyone's tastebuds. You can really mix in anything you'd like- chocolate chips, pecans, dried fruit, chia seeds. Think of them as "everything but the kitchen sink cookies" ...

Also, we got christmas lights and a sweet potted mum for our little porch tonight. Crazy how christmas lights make a shabby porch feel warm and happy! I'm in love.


Breakfast Cookies //
adapted from recipe in Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist

3 large ripe bananas, well mashed
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed so it is not solid)
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal (or any nut really- just ground in spice grinder)
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
2/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut

optional mix-ins: 1/4 cup chocolate chips, chopped dried fruit, chopped nuts, chia seeds

method // in a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork, then pour in coconut oil and stir. add oats, almond meal, salt, spices, and baking powder 
and stir until well combined. add coconut and other mix-ins and stir again.

form the dough into 12-15 round blobs (using a spoon or your hands) and place on baking sheet. baked at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes, or until browned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment